What is 2019 novel coronavirus COVID-19?
- The 2019 novel coronavirus is a new virus that causes respiratory illness in people and can spread from person-to-person. The disease has been named COVID-19.
- This new virus is part of a family of viruses that can affect humans and animals. They are called coronaviruses because they are shaped like crowns.
The virus is thought to spread mainly:
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet)
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
- It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE COVID-19, CONTACT YOUR MEDICAL PROVIDER.
Town Departments and Services
View the entire press release from Mayor Shaw here.
"The Town of Sykesville will remain open and continue to provide essential resident services for our community. While some possible disruptions of services may be possible due to the evolving nature of this situation, we are not expecting significant changes to existing services at this time."
The Police Department remains open. We ask that residents and visitors call 410-795-0757 for general, non-emergency questions and to request reports. At this time, we are no longer singing off on SEROs. The Courts and MVA are closed, so any SEROs will be given an extension on the due date. In addition, the lobby of the Police Department is closed until further notice. Unused medications are no longer accepted for drop off until the lobby is reopened.
For emergencies, please call 9-1-1.
Trash and Recycling:
Pickup remains unchanged at this time.
Town House is open by appointment only. Please try to conduct all business via email, telephone, or mail. A drop box is in place outside of the front door of the Town House; please utilize this or send via mail any bills, payments, bids, or other documents. Visitors will be accepted with appointment only.
Town Council, Committee, and Commission Meetings:
All Town Council, Committee, and Commission Meetings are being conducted via teleconference. Please view the agendas to find login information for the meetings. Meetings are also livestreamed and available for view on our Facebook page.
Old Main Line Visitors’ Center and Post Office:
The Post Office is open. The hours will be slightly reduced at 9AM - 2PM M-F and 9AM-1PM on Saturday. Masks should be worn if you plan on visiting the Post Office.
TOWN PLAYGROUNDS TO BE CLOSED
Town parks and playgrounds are open for you. Please continue practicing proper social distancing, use hand sanitizer, wear facial coverings (if older than 2 years), and avoid congregating in groups larger than 10 people.
South Branch Park remains CLOSED completely until further notice. This includes the playground, pavilion, and skate park.
Gate House Museum:
The Gate House Museum is closed until further notice.
Carroll County Health Department: https://cchd.maryland.gov/covid-19/
Maryland Department of Health: https://health.maryland.gov/pages/home.aspx
Governor Larry Hogan: https://governor.maryland.gov/coronavirus/
Small Business Administration: https://www.sba.gov/page/coronavirus-covid-19-small-business-guidance-loan-resources
MD Department of Aging Senior Call Check: https://aging.maryland.gov/Pages/senior-call-check.aspx
Maryland Unites: https://governor.maryland.gov/marylandunites